This project, for New York City’s Department of Cultural Affairs, transforms a five-story historic former public school to better house four arts groups and one community-service organization. Our design proposed a new five-story addition to create additional public space and provide access to all parts of the building.
All of the new construction has presence but not mass, using lightness by day and lighting by night, to play against the heavy masonry school building and signal its physical transformation and programmatic diversity. The addition primarily houses public functions and unifying circulation that speak of this building as a community of performing and visual-arts groups.
52,000 square feet total, including original building and addition
Expected completion date 2016
Deborah Berke Partners – architect
Buro Happold – structural, MEP, fire protection, lighting and environmental engineers
Harvey Marshall Berling Associates – theater consultant and acoustical engineer
Langan Engineering & Environmental Services – civil and geotechnical engineers
Front, Inc. – façade consultant
C.B.J. Snyder – original architect. 1894.
2011 Annual Awards for Excellence in Design, from the NYC Public Design Commission.
Anticipated LEED Silver