We are currently redesigning the Lewis International Law Center at the Harvard Law School to create a 21st century learning and work environment for students, faculty, and staff, as well as research affiliates and law clinic clients.
The project adds to and transforms a 1959 modernist building originally designed by Shepley Bulfinch Richardson & Abbott with a new entrance, increased teaching and office space, a new circulation system, and high-performance facade. Metal and glass additions complement the original limestone, metal, and glass building and create a subtle dialog between old and new. A new floor is added to the top of the building and formerly opaque walls are opened up with glass to bring natural light into the core of the building.
Inside, library stacks are removed to create interlocking spaces that foster collaboration, learning, and co-working. Flexible conference and meeting rooms and collaborative areas encourage interdisciplinary work. At the same time, discreet areas are separated for focused work, including study carrels, private offices, and client consultation rooms. The project also houses a cutting-edge research center on law and cyberspace for the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society.
Expected completion date – 2021